Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1. Last Stand of the Dark Dweller

Dennis (Xiao) Zhan
LTWR 113

    I…am the last real human left on the face of the earth. It’s true, everything I say is true. It’s been forty-four years since I’ve discovered the truth, forty four years since I locked myself inside my house as a last ditch effort to resist against…..them. Yes, they are the enemy, the outsiders, the pretenders. They call themselves humans, people even, but I know the truth! I can see past all their illusions and lies! So here I am, an unspecified person, at an unspecified place, during an unspecified time, writing down the truth. If I give any more details than that, the will find me, and turn me into one of them.
     No one knows where they came from, or how they managed to take over so quickly. On the outside, they look just like humans. They have faces, wear clothes, speak words, and even show emotions just like normal humans. They have society, laws, and even television programming. But it’s all just an act, the greatest façade in history.
Day by day goes by. The newspapers still come every morning. The ice cream truck still makes its rounds in the afternoon. Life goes on as usual, but that’s what they want you to think. Occasionally I sneak a peek through the curtains just to see the outside world, but only at night, only when it is dark. The darkness is safe. Everyone seemed to think that the darkness was where all the monsters live. That’s always the case in stories and stuff, isn’t it? Well, that’s a lie. That’s what they want you to think. The real monsters come out when the sun is up. That’s when they can see you, stalk you, hunt you. The darkness is safe. In the darkness, they can’t find you.
     As much as I try to avoid it, I do need to go out sometimes, mostly to scavenge for food and supplies. Leaving the safety of my apartment takes quite a lot of preparation though. Like I said before, the only safe time is when it is dark, so that’s the only time I go out. Even so, I still need a way to protect myself, just in case they see me. I have to cover myself completely with an impenetrable disguise. Layers of clothing over the body, gloves over the hands, scarves over the face and the head, and sunglasses over the eyes. This way, they can’t see who I really am, a real human. It works very effectively. Most of them stare and gawk at me while I walk down the streets, trying to figure me out, but it’s no use. Even the cashier who runs the convenience store I go to seems to have no clue. It’s perfect.
     I’ve been able to survive so far by pretending I am one of them. They think I am one of them. But as long as I keep pretending, they won’t know a thing.
    It does get lonely sometimes though, being the last remaining real human on earth and all. Most of the time I just do nothing. I feel pretty content doing that. If I’m feeling a little adventurous, I might turn on the T.V. After all, I have to understand the enemy if I am to resist them. After thousands of hours of research, I have come up several conclusions about what they are. In fact, it’s written all over their popular culture— movies, TV shows, books, and comics. Here’s what I’ve found out.
    Theory number one, they are aliens. Plain and simple. They invaded from outer space, secretly infiltrating into our populations, and then began to assimilate all humans. I’m still unsure how they did this. It could be they mind-controlled everyone in some weird alien way. Or perhaps they consumed all humans and then shape shifted into them. Whatever the case, this conclusion is highly plausible.
    Theory number two, they are robots. You see,  at some point humans developed computer technology to the point where the artificial intelligence became self-aware. Then the A.I. decided that it didn’t need humans anymore and began building a population of robots that looked just like humans. You know, the ones with a robotic interior and a fleshy exterior. After it made a big enough population, the A.I. kidnapped people one by one, and replaced them with robots until I was the only one left. It all makes sense.
    Theory number three, they are monsters. And by monsters, I mean monsters created out of some sort of evil demonic magical forces that laid dormant within the earth, and had been locked away long ago in the ancient days of humanity’s existence. Then one day some idiot accidently released this force back into the world and it infested all humans with evil, turning them into monsters in disguise. This conclusion is actually the least likely in my personal opinion, but I’m mentioning it just to be un-biased.
    Then finally, here’s my last theory. Listen up. None of this is real. That’s right, it’s all a conspiracy! Everything that I experience is created by something, someone, perhaps God, perhaps me, perhaps some twisted lunatic psycho out there. I’m probably in a deep coma, or plugged into a virtual computer program world, or maybe I’m the main character of some stupid story someone wrote up for a school assignment! Maybe I’m even dead. Therefore, nothing is real!
     Whatever it is, I have to fight it! I’m making my last stand right here in my dark apartment. They will never find me out. I’ve figured out the real truth…yes…the real truth…you have to believe me…believe me…I…I…WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING? Why am I writing all this? What’s the purpose? What’s the use? After all, I...am the last real hu

No comments:

Post a Comment