Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1. Aviation

           It was a day like any other, still dark outside when I left for the airport. I stopped by the local donut shop to pick up a hot cup of coffee. The flight today was headed to LAX. Hopefully one-day Southwest airlines will be able to fly to many destinations rather than just three, but for now, just having a job as a pilot will do. I entered the airport with my briefcase at hand and headed to terminal 7.  The many travelers in the airport greeted me with a slight nod or a short smile.  Sometimes this type of greeting makes me think of the worst. So many people’s lives are in my hands, but hey, somebody’s got to do it. 
            The flight was scheduled to leave at 8am, and when I got to the terminal it was around 6:45 a.m. Not a single soul was in the sitting area and the airport receptionist informed me that my flight crew has yet to arrive. A second later the phone rang at her desk, and I was later informed that the call came from aviation headquarters. My flight was delayed at least for a few hours. The young girl who worked at the front desk didn’t really have a reason for the delay and it left me wondering in the waiting area.  After an hour of sitting I decided to give the headquarters a call myself.
            The line was busy after two tries, but on the third try I got through. I was informed that the flight was cancelled. Just as a feeling of rage was coming over me the man on the other line informed me that I was selected for a special assignment. The first flight at Southwest airlines to ever go out of the country was about to take place.  The flight was headed to Nicaragua and I was one of the few candidates selected to be the pilot. As eager as I was to accept the offer, I really wondered what could be so important in Nicaragua.
            After another hour of patiently waiting at the airport, two men in dark brown suits approached the terminal. The first thing I noticed were clear white ear pieces connected from their ears to their back collar. I realized the two men must be important figures, and I started to think whether I did something wrong.
“Mr. Riley?” one of the men asked,
“Yes, that’s my name.”
“ We are hear on behalf of the president of the United States, we have strict orders to take you with us.”
Without a second to think, one of the men tapped me on the back as if to give me a push start and we made our way for the exit. I realized I was walking through the airport with secret service on both sides of me and people were once again starring at me. This time the stares weren’t envious, but rather curious as If I were being taken away to prison. As we made our way outside, in front of the exit doors stood a stretch black limousine. I figured the secret service men must have came on the limousine and I wondered whether I’d be going in the limousine. I had never ridden in one and always wondered what was inside. The first secret service man opened the door and waited for me to enter. I took a seat in the back of the limousine as the vehicle made its way away from the airport. One of the men turned towards me and began to brief me on the reason for me being in this position.
“So we heard your one of the best?”
“Depends on who you ask,” I replied.
“This is no time for jokes Mr. Riley. Your mission is very important and you must be focused 100% of the time. This morning the engines on the Air Force One aircraft both went out and we are late for an immediate departure to Nicaragua. The air force one pilot refuses to fly any other aircraft, which is why we need an immediate replacement.”
“Okay…” was all I could say.
I couldn’t render the thought of flying an aircraft for Air force one. I couldn’t think of the words to say so I asked,
“Will the president be on the plane?”
The secret service men did not reply as they turned away and looked out the window. I sat quietly, yet very anxiously as we drove to our destination. When we arrived at our secret location I realized it was in the middle of nowhere. A piece of land with a small runway, and before us stood a large aircraft. The doors to the airplane were already opened and the flight crew greeted us. After another ten minutes a black SUV pulled up to the airport. The driver came out first and proceeded to open the door for the passenger. It was none other than president Ronald Reagan.  Aside from the nervousness I was feeling, I also felt very honored and realized my career was about to change. As he made his way into the aircraft, my flight crew and I greeted him. He gave the others a nod, but when he made his way by me he said,
“Get us there safely pilot.”
After we shook hands he made his way to the passenger seating, and I made my way to the cockpit. It was almost time for take off.

-Pavel Sterin



No comments:

Post a Comment